I don’t love sports.
I guess I should say I don’t love games: football, basketball, baseball, this even extends to chess and Connect Four and any other board games or yard games. Because I do really love the Olympics (except for the soccer, basketball, volleyball and tennis parts).
Maybe the difference is the Olympics come with feature stories about each athlete’s journey to the games, and I’m a sucker for a good story. Or because the Parade of Nations brings to mind apocalyptic visions of a new creation, of people of every tribe, tongue and nation jubilantly gathering together (without trying to kill each other), as Rachel Held Evans noted. Or because these are games that push athletes to do their personal best or to push their bodies to their most magnificent limit — or are just cool, like curling or archery, which is the new curling, or haven’t you heard?
I wrote about both games, and my abiding love for the Olympics, in a column this week for The Courier-News (“Trying out archery to get to the point of the Olympics“), the climax of what my friend Crysta has called “The Emily McFarlan Best Summer Ever Tour.” Alas, the first of the two school districts I cover starts class in just over a week!
Stay tuned for more Olympics coverage next weekend. I wrote about Algonquin native Rockne Brubaker for The Courier-News when he just missed out on competing in the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver. Another Algonquin native, Evan Jager, just qualified today to race for the gold Sunday in the steeplechase at the Summer Games in London. Meantime, here are all the other articles I wrote the past two weeks, when I wasn’t on a crossbow-shooting high:
- D300 meets energy savings goal for 7th straight year (Sun-Times Media)
- Departures in U46 necessitate restructuring (Sun-Times Media)
- New faces called to principal’s office this year (Sun-Times Media)
- Elgin Community College pilots e-textbooks this fall (Sun-Times Media)
- U46 receives award for promoting bilingualism (Sun-Times Media)
- Following new law, D300, teachers union request mediation (Sun-Times Media)
- D300 plans response after crisis events (Sun-Times Media)
Don’t forget to enter my very first giveaway by leaving a comment on Monday’s post by 11:59 p.m. Monday. You won’t win a gold medal, but you will win a book, which is just about as good as gold to me.
Photo credit: Sun-Times Media.
- Trying out some archery to get to the point of the Olympics (Sun-Times Media) (emmillerwrites.wordpress.com)
- Serving up a cool time at the Kane County Fair (Sun-Times Media) (emmillerwrites.wordpress.com)
- Biweekly Wrap-up: On the ice cream beat (emmillerwrites.wordpress.com)